One of the benefits of smart home technology is the ability to connect it with smart speakers such as the Google Nest or Amazon Alexa, and control it with your voice.
With Alexa, it's as simple as saying "Alexa, turn the lights on". Here's how to set it up.
What you need
- Smart light bulbs which are compatible with Amazon Alexa (such as the Kosen Smart Bulb)
- A device which has Alexa built-in (such as the Amazon Echo Dot or the Amazon Echo)
- The Alexa app (Android or iOS)
- Bulb maker's smart home app (such as Smart Life)
Step 1: Check compatibility
Make sure that your smart lights are compatible with Amazon Alexa. You should be able to find a "Works with Alexa" badge on your product packaging.
Step 2: Connect smart lights to bulb maker's app
Follow your bulb maker's instructions to connect your smart lights with their app.
Step 3: Link manufacturer's app with Alexa app
- Click "Skills & Games" on the menu and search for your bulb maker's app (e.g. "Smart Life"). Click to "Enable".
- When redirected to the account link page, input your account and password. Click "Link now".
- Discover devices: Echo needs to discover your smart devices before controlling them. You can say "Alexa, discover devices" to Echo, or you can also click "Add Devices" to find smart devices.
Step 4: Assign smart light to a room
Go to Devices in the Alexa app. Tap the + icon and then Create a room of device group. Tap the devices you want to be in the group or room.
Step 5: Control your smart lights with Amazon Alexa
You can now control the Kosen Smart Bulb through Amazon Alexa! If you added your smart light to a specific room (e.g. your bedroom), you can use voice commands such as:
Turn the lights on and off
- "Alexa, turn on/off the bedroom light"
- "Alexa, set the bedroom light to 50%"
- "Alexa, brighten the bedroom light"
- "Alexa, dim the bedroom light"
Change colour or temperature
- "Alexa, set the bedroom light to red"
- "Alexa, set the bedroom light to bright white"
- "Alexa, set the bedroom light to candlelight"